"Let's pretend we're just two people and you're not better than me." - Pink

Monday, May 21, 2007

Tumpengan

Last Saturday nite we went to my cousin's place for a traditional Indonesian dinner. There were 7 of us in total : Me, Yap, Mimy, Johnson, Lia, Russell, and Desmon.

The meal that we had is famously known as "Tumpeng". To be honest, I never even tried it when I was still living in Jakarta. It was a food only served during a celebratotary event, particularly served in presidential events. There are so many photos / scenes of our old President, Soeharto cutting the top of the yellow rice cone that I still remember from my childhood. The scenes always pop up in TV or newspaper as somehow, I'm not sure why, he always have something to celebrate!

The main attraction of Tumpeng is the cone shaped yellow rice on the middle of a round plate. It should be surrounded by alot of variety of foods around it. Because we Indonesians love our chillies, most of the time the food accompanying the rice will be spicy food.

However because not everyone in our dinner can eat spicy chilli, we opted for non-spicy meal. We had:
Perkedel (Fried mashed potato)
Ayam bakar (Grilled chicken)
Urap (Steamed vegetable topped with fried dessicated coconut)
Beef Rendang
Sate Babi (Pork Satay)

Minimum order for the tumpeng was for 15 people. We had only 7 people and we really thought that we would have a lot of left overs. But oh my did we eat a lot! Lol! We finished the whole thing, except for the rice! =P

1 comment:

Charles Santoso said...

OMG, Ai! How dare you post something like this in your blog! You make me hungrryy... waaa.. so nicceee.. looks really yummt. I wanna eat eat eat...

I better go to sleep and dream about tumpeng now..

mmmmm... tumpeng (Homer Simpson's style)